Friday, May 31, 2013

What a difference a year makes

I was sitting here thinking about last year at this time...

May 31, 2012. I was just 2-days away from marrying my (different) high school sweetheart. The same boy I had been dating on and off at times since I was just 13 years old. The same boy who had broken my heart a few years before and I did the same to him too. But, through all the crap we went through, we were going to be getting married, settling down, and one day starting a family of our own.

I am certain I was a mess, running around like a chicken with my cut off. It was a Thursday and the guys were suppose to go up and pick their tuxes up in Idaho Falls. My mom and I had went to Costco that day to pick up fruit for the skewers we were going to be making the next night at rehearsal, and I was a wreck that they didn't have in cantaloups (haha). I had made the kids coloring books to set up on the kids table, and I was finishing cutting those out till at least midnight; getting them cut, lined up perfectly and stapled.

Friday was a disaster. I had lined up a guy from my home ward to marry us, and I had been calling and calling him all week to let him know rehearsal was going to be Friday evening at the Rosewood and he would never answer my calls. Well apparently he had gotten himself into some kind of trouble and no longer had the authority to marry us, but he didn't even have the decency to call me. So there I was, 24 hours away from getting married, a few hours from my rehearsal, and no bishop. But by some grace of God, mine and Scott's records had already been sent to Blackfoot and our bishop dropped by the house and said he had gotten a phone call about an emergency and asked if he could help. Bishop Bob, he is a lifesaver. We basically baptized him by fire; he had been bishop less than a week and he had never conducted a marriage ceremony before. He truly is a gift from God and Scott and I appreciate him more than he knows, then and now.

Friday evening before our family and friends showed up we started making fruit skewers, and before we knew it we had a whole kitchen full of help. Now that we had the bishop situation figured out, everything seemed to be going smoothly, which is what everyone wants for their wedding. We were lucky enough to get permission from the building owners to set things up Friday night while we were doing our rehearsal so we wouldn't have so much to complete the morning of. We really lucked out, because it seemed like we had SO much crap to haul in and set up. We did what we could on the inside, but there were things we needed from other people before we could really finish up. For dinner afterwards, we took the entire wedding party to Mama Inez (I'm noticing a trend that Mama's is where we go to celebrate things!). We had been watching out for the weather and prayed that it would be nice for Saturday. The weekend before was nothing short of a downpour and I worried about everything being outside.

We had so much to finish up on Saturday before the wedding began at 5, or so it felt like. So mom and I got their extra early to start setting things up. Of course there were hair appointments, and make up, flowers, chairs, picures etc... that all needed to be done. And having been the one to design the entire day, I felt like I needed to be down there setting up and directing. I had to be told more than once, by numerous people, that this was my wedding day, it will be taken care of, there is no need to freak :) I may have gone down a few times after all that just to check the progress.

I am so glad I was able to go down before the commotion started and soak in the details. My flowers.. aww, my flowers. Beverly Ferro did such an amazing job. She went above and beyond, all the little details she put into all the arrangements STILL takes my breath away. Kim Hardy set up my linens, bistro tables and chair ties. Perfection. Everything came together so perfectly. My cake... A simple 4 tiered lemon and lime masterpiece. Kevin and Jenifer Busick, Big Daddy Cakes, did the most amazing job. And all the different flavors were to die for. The Popcorn Shop for making two different kinds of specialty popcorn flavors just for our wedding. Perfect! I could sit here and go on and on about all the details, but I won't. I'm just so glad I was able to take it all in amongst the craziness of the day. And that I can still remember everything a year later.

There were some minor little details that were overlooked or forgotten about, but thinking back, the day went off perfectly without them. And no one noticed they were missing. Scott and I could not have asked for a more perfect day. The weather was amazing, the day was amazing. We celebrated our love with those who mattered most.

It's amazing to see what can happen in a year; especially sitting here almost 29 weeks pregnant with a handsome baby boy on the way...

Here's to a very Happy 1st Anniversary to Scott and I.



No comments:

Post a Comment