Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Mom Update

Saturday the 8th marked the one month mark since my moms accident. I actually went back and read the post about everything that had happened. I couldn't help but cry as I relived the emotions and the roller coaster of those first few days.

I am through the roof excited to report that mom is doing so awesome! She was on a walker for about two weeks before they transitioned her to her cane. I was so nervous about that, especially about her getting up and down the stairs. But she man handled the crap out of it! She was on the cane for just under two weeks before they told her just use it for when she's tired or feels like she needs a little extra support. Which also made me incredibly nervous! She knows to take it slow and also knows her limits. She is still not able to bend more than a 90 degree angle, which again is basically everything we do. Don't believe me, watch the degree of bend in your hip for an hour... It's ridiculous! She was told she could drive, but due to a lower sitting car - that won't be happening. But it's not like she really has any place to go :)

She has been off 4 of her 6 medications for a while now and basically sticks to her pain meds right now. She is weaning off of those little by little. Days that her PT/OT women come in really do a number on her. They come in a few times a week and exercise her for over an hour each time. They even put some shoes on her and got her out of the house to walk up and down the street. I refer to it as taking my mom for a walk, which I find hilarious - her, not as much! 

I have moved back to Blackfoot, per moms wish. She practically told me to leave! I was a stress case the entire night and weekend, even though I did make a couple special trip to her house just to check on her. It was the first time she'd been alone in two weeks, but she insisted she would like to try it out and see how everything went. She did great, which I knew she would. It's still just an adjustment to the 'no bending' rule. We have had to rearrange the kitchen, bathrooms, etc.. For example, everything she uses daily is on the top shelf, every other day or so is on the middle and things we doesn't use too often are on the bottom. We've have to move pots and pans from the cupboards and put them on the stovetop... Just things like that. It's been such a learning experience, for mom and for me. 

I really am grateful for the experience as trying and difficult as it was. It's taught me patience and it's taught me to be much more understanding and mellow. I am grateful for those who still check in on us and stop by just to check on her. My mother-in-law has been a lifesaver. She doesn't come during the day anymore, but she does pop in on the weekends if she knows Scott and I will be busy with something. I am so lucky we have the people in our lives that we do. They've been a shoulder to cry on when we needed it and have been an extended hand when we needed that too. 

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that she is doing better! I think she was supposed to come into the office soon but I guess that won't be happening for a while! But if she has to wait for a while that might be a good thing because then she can bring us in pictures of baby boy!! :) I like your landscaping :) Your husband is very talented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No she should be good to go for her cleaning! We were just talking about that after her appointment :) She has to take some precautions with the cleanings/dental work from now on, she'll need antibiotics beforehand, but you should be seeing her soon! And you will always see picture of my son on here ya crazy girl!

      Delete