Monday, July 22, 2013

Baby Shower

My friend Marianne threw me & Ryk a shower on Saturday at my home. It was so perfect, I could not have asked for a better day! The turnout was amazing and I got to see so many people I haven't seen in ages - or at least since our wedding :)

Marianne decided to go with a turquoise and brown western theme shower. She asked me months and months ago how I felt about a "giftwrap-less" shower. Basically you bring your gift unwrapped, set it on a table and that's it. That way people can still see what you got, you just don't spend 2 hours opening gifts while everyone sits around. I was all for it. I hate sitting around watching and having people pass everything around, it's so annoying - we've all seen cute baby clothes! And if I wanted to touch and feel a blanket, I'll get up and look at it! (sorry for those of you who like that...) 

Since the theme was western, we stuck to a western meal (obviously!) - pulled pork sandwiches, baked beans, and coleslaw. I did have a small 2-tiered cake made from Paisley Cakes in Blackfoot. It turned out sooo cute! It was a huge hit at the party! My mom also made cupcakes, vanilla and chocolate and then frosted them in either turquoise or brown. We served Root Beer out of mason jars tied with ribbon and topped off with little white and blue straws. For those who didn't want soda, we also served country fresh squeezed lemonade. As a thank you for making it out, we brown bagged trail mix! 

Because Scott and I do live out in the country, I put my sister-in-law in charge of making signs out to the house. They were huge neon green things that said 'Nelson Baby Shower', at least 8 of them I believe. Well, I still had to go on a hunting spree and round up lost people! I was late to my own shower because of it :) However, everyone said the signs were a huge help! When you did finally make it to the house, you were greeted with a walkway lined with balloons, hay bails, horseshoes, and bandanas at the door and a sign that said 'Come on in ya'll!' I made a wreath a few months back that I was going to hang on the door when he arrived, but it just so happened that it couldn't have matched more perfect for the party, so a grapevine wreath with 'Oh Boy' was hanging on the door :)

We, meaning Marianne and myself, are not game people either. If I'm going to have a shower, I'm going to make sure I have time to visit with each guest who took the time to make it out. So Marianne kept it simple. We played a quick "game" and hid eggs that had pictures inside of them, if you found an ultrasound picture of Ryk you were a winner. There were 3 of him and the rest were random pictures of Scott and I, the dogs, his room... So it went by super quick! She did set up a "Wishing Tree" so people could write their wishes for Scott and I or Ryker and hang them on a little tree. A "Birth Day Predictor" where people guessed what day they think I'll have baby boy. And she also did "Diaper Wishes"where people left us funny/serious/sweet messages on diapers. I'm sure after so many changes we are going to need a little pick-me-up after awhile! 

Here are some pictures....








I totally forgot to take a picture of this when all the food was prepared
and of the drink station! Ugh, I'm so bummed about it! Just imagine
yummy looking food :)



I swear she is thrilled to be a grandma... Even though this picture would say otherwise!
Hahaha!! Don't tell her I said that :)
Ryker's Great Aunts, Dixie and Bonnie

Grandma Shirley & Aunt Sadie




Conor is giving Ryker "Knuckles"


My BFF & party hostess 


My amazing, lifelong friend Brianne and her sister Kylee Jo
Brianne is due 10 weeks after me with a girl.
Oh yeah, she drove from Colorado to be here!


Sooo many goodies!


2 comments:

  1. Aw everything was so cute! Looks like you got some good stuff for baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a super fun theme! I love it! Looks like a great shower. I am sure you have had so much fun putting away all the shower gifts... that has always been a favorite of mine!!

    ReplyDelete