Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Snipes and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails

.... That's what little BOYs are made of.



Scott and I are going to be the proud parents of a precious baby boy! 

Clearly this little man is like his father, not shy! The tech put the little monitor thing on my belly and bam! there was his little goods :) I looked at it, and she said you want to know the gender of the baby? I know, do you have any guesses? I blurted out, that's not a little girl! And started crying! She said, congrats you're having a boy! I think Scott's mouth about hit the floor. And my mom got all teary eyed too. Scott just stared up at the screen in total disbelief. He nor I have ever seen something like this before, an ultrasound that is. So to be able to see EVERYTHING is absolutely amazing.

I knew they measured things to make sure baby is growing properly in there, and I believe she was measuring his head and I looked at her, very concerned, and said - "Does he not have arms??" She kind of giggled and said, Oh I'm sure he does we just haven't moved down his body yet! So to reassure me, she stopped what she was doing and found both his arms for me! One, as seen above, was constantly up by his face (right arm) and the other was so very graciously punching me in the bladder the whole time. The gal we had was very nice to us and made sure to explain everything and re-explain if we didn't see exactly what she was telling us. 

From what I can tell, he's a very polite boy. Haha! His little legs were crossed right at the ankles the entire time, until she started jabbing him trying to make him roll. Instead he just arched his little back, kicked and moved his arms. Not a happy guy. The reason she was wanting him to move was to get a better picture of his aorta. The tech was able to watch the blood rush through it, but was not able to get a good still photo, so I need to go back in 4 weeks and have another ultrasound. Any chance to see my son is fine by me. Even if I do have to have a full bladder, again. I think the next time I go in, I'm going to have Scott's mom and sister come with me so they can see him.

That was the worst part of the whole experience. My back and kidneys ached all day afterward! Making a pregnant girl hold it for over an hour after drinking a quart of water is rude! Haha.

According to his measurements, he is about 5 days ahead of schedule. So instead of being 18w6d he's 19w3d. Anything to avoid being pregnant ALL of August, I'll take it. But he looks absolutely perfect. Right before we ended the ultrasound, he honestly gave us a wave. I almost died, it was the most precious thing I've ever seen. Kinda like a, 'Bye mom, dad, and grandma!' Melted my heart right on the spot! The tech said him being able to open up his hand like that is a really good sign, it removes questions of disorders or syndromes.

I was so excited to tell everyone and their dog yesterday that we were having a boy, but we had decided before we told people we wanted to make sure our families knew. We had planned a dinner that evening, so all day I was busting at the seams to squeal. We had told the Nelson's that baby was stubborn and didn't give up the gender and that we would have to go back. I knew if I told Sadie she would pry and pry until I told her! It was such a cruel joke, but it made it that much sweeter when we were able to see their faces looking at a single blue balloon. 

Scott and I loved this baby from the moment we found out. But to be able to see him on screen and watch his movement made it so real. Scott and I were getting ready for bed last night and I told him, we are going to have a baby boy. A son. Can you believe that? He just smiled and said "I know. I heard Watchin' You (by Rodney Adkins) and got a little teary eyed over it." 

The funny thing about this whole situation, I've mentioned how set Scott was on this baby being a little girl. He actually told me he was sad he wasn't having a baby girl. Not that he isn't totally ecstatic over a little boy, but he did want a girl. Scott is such a man's man and it shocked me to see he wanted a girl so badly. Guess we'll pray for one next time :) 

FYI: He's been moving while I type this. Must know he's being talked about.


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! So exciting. Btw, i have never been able to hold it the whole ultrasound. My ultrasound a few weeks ago i almost peed my pants waiting in the waiting room so they told me i could go to the bathroom before they started. They still got all the measurements they needed, my bladder was full again by the time they finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Traci!! My goodness, it's the most painful thing ever. I had to go knock on my doctor's door before my appointment to do the lovely 'pee in a cup'. And you're right, before my appointment was over, I was ready to go again! :)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your boy!! I am really happy for you guys!! Ultrasounds are so amazing- sounds like yours was memorable! So ecstatic that things looks well for your little boy!!

    ReplyDelete